The Toy Inn

Former Hostelry

Built Circa 1650
Demolished Circa 1840

Inscription reads:
The site of the Toy Inn, an ancient hostelry of note. Built for
Oliver Cromwell’s troops C. 1650, rebuilt C. 1700, demolished
C. 1840, wherein Pope wrote The Rape of the Lock, the Duke
of Clarence, afterwards William IV formed & presided over his
Toy Club, and Thomas Dunckerley founded The Masonic Lodge
of Harmony 255 in 1785. The lodge held here for 37 years now
erects this tablet. July 1933.

Gateway to Hampton Court Palace, Hampton Court Road, Richmond



More Information
The Toy Inn