Richmond Palace

Former Royal Residence

Built in 1501

Inscription on circular plaque reads:
Upon this site formerly stood the Palace of Richmond, built by Henry VII in 1501. A royal residence first occupied this site in 1126.

Inscription on rectangular plaque reads:
In the 1740s, the 3rd Earl of Cholmondeley built a house on this site.
In 1780, the house was bought and enlarged by the 4th Duke of Queensberry who entertained here in grand style.
In 1830 Sir William Dundas built the next Queensberry House which survived until 1933 when the present flats replaced it.
This history was researched by Roy Price CB (1916 - 2005) a resident here.

4a Friar's Lane, Richmond upon Thames



    More Information
    Richmond Palace