St Christopher’s Place

Shopping Street
                                                                    
                                        





Plaque Location

St Christopher’s Place
Off Oxford Street
London
W1

Further Information

Categories
Locations
Names
Main inscription reads:

St Christopher’s Place

“From a forgotten backwater to one of London’s loveliest shopping streets”

18th Century – Originally known as Barretts Court after the local owner John Barrett. In the 18th century and
early 19th century the area became a slum, situated off Tyburn Street, now Oxford Street, which lead {sic)
directly to the Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch. The last public hanging took place in 1783.

19th Century  - Redeveloped in the 1870’s for social housing under the patronage of Octavia Hill, joint founder
of the National Trust, the street also included a variety of of historic trades – lampmaking, chandlers,
cheese-mongers, drapers and bookmakers. The Lamb and Flag public house became a favourite haunt for
anarchists.

20th Century – While adjoining Oxford Street became the busiest shopping street in Britain, St Christopher’s
Place declined and by 1967 there were many empty properties. A major modern office redevelopment was
proposed with the buildings being demolished.

It was then that Robin Spiro, a somewhat unconventional property developer, appeared on the scene
believing, against the prevailing  trend, that demolition was not the answer and that a period, small scale,
shopping thoroughfare could successfully preserve something of the past in today’s busy world.

And so St Christopher’s Place was transformed into one of London’s loveliest shopping streets.