Coram’s Fields
Opened 1936

Open Space

Plaque  Location

Entrance to Coram’s Fields
93 Guilford Street

Further Information

Plaque Reads:
These grounds, the site of the Foundling Hospital, established in
1739 by Captain Thomas Coram, were offered for sale as housing
land in 1926 when owing to changing social conditions the old
hospital was sold and demolished.
After eight years of anxiety to its fate the site was eventually
preserved for the use and welfare of the children of Central London
by the generosity and vision of Harold Viscount Rothermere, by the
efforts of the Foundling Site Appeal Council, by the co-operation of
the governors of the Foundling Hospital and the Education
Committee of the London County Council, and by the enthusiasm
of many thousands of donors, large and small, who contributed
their money or their toil to the saving of these nine acres,
henceforth to be known as Coram’s Fields