William Tierney Clark
                                               
Born 23rd August 1783
Died 22nd September 1852

Civil Engineer






Plaque  Location

Fulham Reach
Thames Embankment
London
W6

Further Information
Inscription Reads:
William Tierney Clark 1783 - 1852
Who lived locally was a distinguished civil engineer,
architect and fellow of the Royal Society. He designed the
first suspension bridge over the Thames at Hammersmith
completed in 1827, which was replaced by the present
bridge in 1887. Clark’s Hammersmith Bridge design led
directly to his greatest work, the Chain Bridge over the
Danube at Budapest (1849) shown on the panel above.
Clark was the engineer of the West Middlesex Water
Company located in Hammersmith. His other civil
engineering works were the chain bridges at Marlow  (1832)
and Shoreham (1833 - 1923), He also built the Thames
Medway Canal (1824 - 1844) and Gravesend Pier  (1834)