Was founded by St Erkenwald in the year 666. Destroyed by the Danes
it was rebuilt in the 10th century. William the Conqueror stayed here
after his coronation in 1066. It was dissolved in 1539 and demolished
within three years.
Saint Margarets Church
Founded about 1215 was altered and enlarged in the 15th and 16th
centuries. Captain Cook was married here in 1762.
A gateway to the abbey built in the 14th century and reconstructed
in 1460. The 12th century stone head now in the chapel over the
gateway was the object of pilgrimage in medieval times.
This stone was set up on 4th December 1960 to mark the fifth
centenary of the Curfew Tower