Beth Holim
                                                           
Opened Here 1912
Transferred 1977

Former Jewish Hospital
and Old People’s Home






Plaque Location

Albert Stern House
253 Mile End Road
London 
E1

Further Information
Plaque reads:
This building, erected in 1912, formerly housed the Beth Holim or hospital and old
people's home of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews' Congregation. The hospital,
founded in 1748, was first established in Leman Street E1, then in 1790 was
transferred to this site.  In 1977 it was removed to Forty Avenue Wembley where it
now flourishes. Behind this building lies the first cemetery of the Spanish and
Portuguese Jews who fled from the persecution of the Spanish and Portuguese
inquisition to find religious toleration and freedom in this realm. They formed in the
City of London in 1656 the Congregation called 'sha'arhashamayim', the Gate of
Heaven, which is still in existence.  It was the first professing Jewish community in
the British Isles to be established in modern times and formed the origin of the
Present Jewish community of Britain as a whole. For admission to the Old Cemetery
of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews apply to:- The Secretary, Spanish &
Portuguese Jews Congregation, 2 Ashworth Road W9.