Mayor of Stepney 1919
Member of Parliament for Limehouse 1922 - 1950
and Walthamstow West 1950 - 1955
Deputy Prime Minister 1942 - 1945
Prime Minister 1945 - 1951
In 1945 Attlee was at the election count in the Great Hall
of the People’s Palace, now part of Queen Mary, when he
learned that the party had won sufficient seats in
parliament to form the first post-war government.
Unveiled by Lord Wilson of Rievaulx in 1988, this statue
was originally located in Limehouse. It was supported by
the GLC and Tower Hamlets Council and sponsored by
Dan and Lily Frankel. The relocation and repair in 2010
was funded by Queen Mary and facilitated by the council
from which it is now on long term loan.
The statue was created by artist Frank Forster and unveiled
by Lord Mandelson in its new location on 4th April 2011.