Sacred to the memory of the dead interred in the
ancient church & churchyard of St John the Baptist
upon Walbrook during four centuries.
The formation of the district railway having necessitated
the destruction of the greater part of the churchyard
all the human remains contained therein were carefully
collected and reinterred in a vault beneath this
monument A.D. 1884.