This frieze was removed from numbers 53 and 54 Barbican when it was
demolished in 1962 and re-erected by the Corporation of London in 1975.
Numbers 53 and 54 were the premises of W. Bryer & Sons gold refiners and
assayers whose trade is depicted in the frieze. The building was one of the
few which survived when the area was largely destroyed by incendiary
bombs in December 1940.