The English Inscription Reads:
St Peter’s Italian Church - 1863
In 1845 St Vincent Pallotti a R.C. Priest and founder of the S.A.C.
(Pallottine Fathers) thought of constructing a church in London for
Italian immigrants. The Irish architect Sir John Miller-Bryson modelled
the church on the basilica of San Crisogono in Trastevere - Rome.
It was to hold 3400 people but was scaled down, at that time it was the
only church in Britain in the Roman Basilican style. It was consecrated
on the 16th April 1863 as “The Church of St Peter of all Nations”.
The building has an English Heritage Grade II* star listing.